Welcome to the home of the Whitewater Valley Railroad, an operating railroad museum, on the World Wide Web.  The WVRR has saved the Dearborn Tower from being torn down.  More information to come in the future. Heralds from the Railroads that ran over the WVRR rails
Members

Home
History
Directions
Education
Teacher Resources
Excursions
Equipment
News/Media
Restorations
Membership
Heritage
Privacy Policy
About Us









Contact Info:
Whitewater Valley Railroad
P.O. Box 406
Connersville, IN 47331
(765) 825-2054
Email Us

This section is currently under construction

Whitewater Valley Receives SD10 Gift from Canadian Pacific

The Canadian Pacific Railway has donated a former Milwaukee Road SD10, No. 532, to the Whitewater Valley Railroad Museum in Connersville, Indiana. The unit was originally Milwaukee Road SD9 No. 2235, built in 1954, and was heavily rebuilt in 1975 as one of 21 low nose SD10s. Following the Milwaukee bankruptcy, 532 was one of three units retained by CPR subsidiary SOO Line, and was apparently last used in yard service. The 532 was later stored at Thief River Falls, Minnesota, still in faded Milwaukee paint under its SOO line lettering. The locomotive arrived in Connersville December 11, 2001. Sincere thanks go out to the Canadian Pacific Railway for their generous gift and their commitment to railroad preservation.

Although the Milwaukee is best known for its Northern and Western lines, the road did operate a fairly long segment in Indiana. The former Chicago, Terre Haute & Southeastern Rwy., acquired by Milwaukee in 1921, served coal mines and limestone quarries in southern Indiana. The section through Terre Haute to Bedford remains in service today as part of a SOO route from Chicago to Louisville. An extension of this Milwaukee line, abandoned in 1961, reached Westport, Indiana, the farthest eastern point on any U.S. transcontinental. Ironically, Westport is only 30 miles as the crow flies from the closest point on the Whitewater Valley Railroad. Originally laid out in 1890 by CTH&SE predecessor Evansville & Richmond, the extension would have crossed the Whitewater branch if it had been completed to Richmond as planned.

Although the WVRR has only had the engine a short time, considerable funds and effort have already gone into the locomotive both to prepare it for movement and to start the process to make it serviceable from its years in storage. Additional work has involved the acquisition of service information and the creation of training materials for future operations on the museum's 19 mile demonstration railroad. Repairs to the oil filter tank and piping and water system have been completed.

The condition of the locomotive has been found to be generally sound and complete from a mechanical perspective, however, it is cosmetically poor at this time. The current plan is to use 532 as a museum display, and once made serviceable, as backup power. At the request of Canadian Pacific officials, WV plans to repaint the locomotive in its original Milwaukee lettering and orange and black paint as it wore when it was modified as an SD10. This will entail replacement of rusted metal panels located in the areas around the cab and battery boxes prior to repainting the unit. At this time only a few specialized parts are needed for the cosmetic restoration. These include one of the rear marker lights, a green lense for one of the front marker lights, a reproduction EMD oval builder's plate, appropriate Milwaukee Road cab heralds, and an SD10 identification plate that was once near the front steps. Lettering and painting diagrams are also being sought to properly complete the exterior paint as well as paint color information for the cab interior.

The WVRR is also looking for additional information regarding the unit's history, such as work assignments, as well as photos of the unit in use on the Milwaukee and Soo. Information and materials submitted will become part of the locomotive's permanent curatorial file.


© 1974-2010 Whitewater Valley Railroad, Inc - All Rights Reserved